These chamomile & lavender madeleines are moist, light and a sweet little dream. They are perfect served warm with a hot cup of SereniTea.
• 10 tbsp butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
• 3 large eggs
• 2/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1 1/4 cup flour
• 2 tea bags SereniTea
• zest of one lemon
• 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
• 5 tbsp water
• 2 drops lavender oil (adjust to taste)
1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter then set aside to cool to room temperature while preparing the madeleine batter.
2. Add the flour, eggs and sugar to bowl of an electric mixer and whip until thick and pale in colour.
3. Add the loose leaf SereniTea and lemon zest, mix until combined.
4. Remove the mixture from the mixer and sift 1/3 of the flour mixture over the top of the egg mixture and gently fold together. Repeat with the remaining flour in increments of 1/3 each time.
5. Scoop out about one cup of the batter and fold into the melted butter, then add the mixture to the batter and fold together gently.
6. Cover the batter and transfer to the refrigerator. The batter should rest for at least two hour but overnight if possible.
7. Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease and flour the madeleine pan.
8. Remove the batter from the refrigerator and scoop walnut sized scoops into each shell-shape trey.
9. Transfer the madeleine pan to the centre rack of the oven and bake for 8 minutes, until the edges look golden and crisp and the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
To Make the Lavender Glaze:
1. Mix the confectioners’ sugar with 3 tbsp of water stirring until smooth
2. Add additional water a tbsp at a time until you have a thin mixture
3. Add lavender oil drops.
4. Glaze over madeleines.